If you received injuries in a car accident because of someone else’s negligence, you have the right to seek compensation. In order to fully protect that right, it’s best that you work with a car accident lawyer in Indianapolis. Hiring an attorney isn’t mandatory but along with seeking medical attention, it’s one of the best things you can do. A skilled, experienced attorney will help you to recover the damages you deserve. While getting compensation won’t take away your injuries and pain, it can relieve your financial burden.
Why It Makes Sense to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in Indianapolis
You may not be sure whether you should hire a lawyer or take your chances with the insurance company. However, you should keep in mind that insurers don’t have your best interests at heart. They will do everything they can to limit the amount they have to pay out. Hiring an attorney will help to ensure that the insurance provider acts fairly toward you. Let’s look at some of the signs that you need to hire a lawyer.
- The other party is denying liability. Some accidents are straightforward and it’s clear that the other driver was solely at fault. However, if you contributed to the crash, the other party may try to amplify your role. Under Indiana’s contributory negligence system, if you were 51 percent or more at fault, you can’t recover damages. You can, therefore, expect the other driver’s insurance company or lawyer to try to tip the balance in their favor. You won’t be able to fight this alone. However, an experienced attorney will help you to minimize your share of fault.
- Your injuries are severe and life-changing. The amount of compensation you deserve will depend on the severity of your injuries. If you have serious injuries and your medical bills are extensive the insurance company is more likely to fight you. However, this is when you’ll most need to receive compensation. An attorney can help you to get everything to which you’re entitled.
- You’re not sure what would be a fair settlement. If your car accident injuries are minor, you may be able to quantify your losses easily. Maybe you visited the doctor once, missed just three days of work and suffered no lasting damage. However, if you’re facing months or years of treatment or surgeries or you’ve become disabled, it’ll be more difficult. You probably won’t be able to quantify your damages on your own. A lawyer will take all aspects of your case into consideration and inform you about what’s a fair settlement.
- The insurance company offers you a settlement that really low. Sometimes, the other driver’s insurer agrees to pay. However, they may make an offer that doesn’t scratch the surface of your losses. If you’re still undergoing medical treatment, and the amount offered won’t even pay your existing bills, you shouldn’t accept it. Instead, you should work with an Indianapolis car accident lawyer. They will carefully quantify your past and future expenses and push for a fair settlement.
- You need to file a lawsuit. If it’s clear that the insurance company doesn’t plan to offer a fair settlement, you may need to sue. Filing a lawsuit is complex and if you don’t know courtroom procedures or the law, you’ll be lost. Having a lawyer on your side will ensure you follow the rules and meet all the necessary deadlines. Don’t lose out on your opportunity to get the compensation you need and deserve.
- Multiple parties were involved in the accident. Accidents that involve more than two vehicles can be complex. If a commercial vehicle was in the crash, things can get even harder. There may be multiple defendants and it may be difficult to determine who is truly liable. There may also be federal regulations to consider. The assistance of an attorney will be invaluable.
Let Stewart|Phelps|Wood Help You with Your Case
Having an attorney on your side will give your peace of mind. You can focus on your recovery while your lawyer handles the insurance company and their lawyers. They will ensure the insurer treats you fairly and that you recover the compensation you deserve. When you don’t have an attorney, insurance companies will try to take advantage of you. At Stewart|Phelps|Wood, we have skilled negotiators who will try to get you the best deal. If negotiations don’t work, we can take the matter to court on your behalf. Call our skilled car accident law office in Indianapolis today and schedule a free consultation.